Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I don't want to wake up

{subject artist: The Smith's song: Asleep}

The title of this post is a song about death. Morbid, I know. It's been a while since someone close to me died {thankfully}. In fact, it was a year and a half ago when my grandmother died - three weeks before turning 105.
This post is, admittedly, a little fucked up but I've had death on my mind lately and then I got to thinking of some of the strange ways that my relatives have died over the ages. I'm sure most families have some equally odd tales but here are a handful of mine......

Surprising: my dad's uncle died last year from West Nile Virus

Bizarre: two of my grandma's sisters were killed when lightening came through their house, killing one child standing at the door and then jumping to the other sibling slighly farther in the room.

Saddest: my cousin was murdered by Gary Bishop

Famous: my distant relative was one of those hung (or is that, "hanged"?) at the Salem Witch Trials.

2 comments:

Katie said...

That's crazy. No bizarre or famous killings (that I'm aware of anyway) in my family. I think Ron's passing was "surprising" in that he was probably the most careful and observant soldier in his unit, but I guess you can't really do much about road side bombs. It just never really occured to us that he wouldn't come home, even knowing he was in a war zone.

And it's "hanged." I think that's really cool. Sad, but still kind of cool.

Jason said...

That's kind of freaky. Interesting, though.